Our Journey

This is our final year at Bath Spa University, and the Hatched blog is a record of our journey towards the Free Range Show in July 2011.
The countdown begins, and the work is forming...
Keep up to date with what we are doing by following us.

Sunday 14 November 2010

Layne Arlina


Artist of the Week: 14th November 2010


'Predominately, I work around an interest and choose a medium to which I feel best suits the project. However, as of late I have been deeply engaged by hair: its symbolic status and social connotations, and also as a material.


My method of working has always been a long and drawn out process, involving the extensive research of what may have once been pure curiosity. I eat, sleep and breathe the subject that I am exploring. I tend to fall in love and obsess with it, until I begin to despise how it has taken over my life. I pursue and work through it, like a bout of depression and then finally, once I have uncovered its mystery and formed a design that I am completely satisfied with, only then am I free to resurface. I feel awake and irreversibly aware. I give it life, I nurture it, I am now free to reject it.


I adore strong contrasting tones within drawings and photographs, perhaps because, for me, the tone alone can suggest to represent an intense emotion, a sort of rawness. Art is how I understand the world; art is the solution to my confusion. I struggle with words and so I allow for creativity within their structure. I am inspired by the sound of poetry and within my latest works I have begun to explore the use of text in collaboration with hair.


Recently, I have discovered a love for Performance Art; I am compelled both as a viewer and as a participant. These movements and actions have reflected the ideas I hold about society, a magnetic presence throughout my work. Using my body as art, I can fully submerse myself, expressing the surge of emotions and thus allowing the energy and ideas to break free into reality.'


No comments:

Post a Comment