Our Journey

This is our final year at Bath Spa University, and the Hatched blog is a record of our journey towards the Free Range Show in July 2011.
The countdown begins, and the work is forming...
Keep up to date with what we are doing by following us.

Sunday 5 December 2010

Robert Mackintosh


Artist of the Week: 5th December 2010




'My work is inspired by realistic portraits and the desire to  make them better. This means I usually start out small and make my way up to bigger things. For example I have been drawing for as long as I can remember however I have only been painting for about a year. The reason I have only ever really been drawing is because drawing it is so much easier as you only have to observe tone and line. However whenever  I started a painting it would be about colour and brushstrokes as well, there are so many more elements to consider in a painting that I would just get frustrated and give up. This is also the reason that many of my painting seem very drawn like. By this I mean they just look like drawings with paint filled in the gaps. However they have slowly developed into something more.

The start of this year saw me starting off with drawing to get me back into the swing of things in my comfort zone. I also started with a few watercolours which seemed to be the obvious choice to me as my mum does watercolours as well and this inspired me to try them too. Watercolours are also easy because they are much like drawing with paint and they also work in the same way that you must work from dark to light. If you want to make something darker you simply use less water and if you want to make something lighter you use more water.

These drawings and watercolours seemed to me to be a little too small and unimpressive and I knew that if I wanted to become better I would have to move into a medium with a little more promise and room for improvement. This led me to acrylics and oils, acrylics were the first way that I went and to put it simply they did not match my style at all, as the way that I water down and thin out the paint just did not work with them so I moved on to oils. Oils however fit my style much better as they are much more flexible and can be used in a number of ways. This led me to the range of works that I am going through now constantly experimenting and improving.'






Robert Mackintosh, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment