Our Journey

This is our final year at Bath Spa University, and the Hatched blog is a record of our journey towards the Free Range Show in July 2011.
The countdown begins, and the work is forming...
Keep up to date with what we are doing by following us.

Sunday 13 February 2011

Sara-Jane Swettenham

Artist of the week - 12 February 2011







My practice is consistent in working with text and imagery as one. I use compressed charcoal to block out handwritten text then rub away to form figures emerging from the black. The writing appears within the figure creating a narrative. I take photographs of films as they are playing. I am very interested in the quality of the image that is created. The pixels of the television are shown over the image. What is presented is a photograph of a scene from a film rather than a film still. I want the viewer to establish a sense of distance between them and the image. I then work over these images in different ways. I am interested in the disintegration of a film reel. Nothing lasts forever. Memories fade. 
I paint lines over series of images, the lines becoming more on each one disrupting the view of the picture. I handwrite text from the films over relating imagery to create the effect of the television static and the television flickering. I slice through imagery so text can be discovered underneath. All of these techniques are my way of dissolving imagery and having a sense that soon nothing will be left. I am inspired by the work of Ed Ruscha and Fiona Banner. Ruscha for his ‘The End’ pieces which symbolise an old film through the grainy image and lines cutting through. Banner for her vast landscapes of handwritten text depicting scenes from films through writing what she sees. Both of these artists are a great influence and their work has led me into the style I have today.


'From Love to Downfall'





http://sarajaneswettenham.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment